How To Be a Good Teammate
Learning how to operate in a team environment is an essential skill for children to develop and apply to everyday experiences and opportunities
A team is a group of people who all have a common purpose and/or are working towards the same goal. What makes a group of people a team? Are you part of a team?
Let’s Start the Conversation
What type of team do you want to be a part of?
- Do you want to be a team that encourages and champions one another?
- What characteristics should a teammate uphold?
- Kind, inclusive, positive attitude, hardworking, etc.
Try This Activity at Home: Hula Hoop Chain Game
Teammates connect by holding hands in a line. A hula hoop is given to the first person on an end. Teammates must get the hula hoop from one end of the chain to the other end without “breaking the chain” (disconnecting hands). Following the activity, emphasize that each teammate had an important role to accomplish the goal (getting the hula hoop from one end to the other). One person’s role was not any more important than the others, every teammate had an important role in the team succeeding.
Being a teammate and showing good teamwork can be challenging at times, however, it is more effective to be supportive and helpful to those around you. Teamwork is an essential skill that you will carry with you in any job, sport, friendship, etc. Now, I want you to think about the questions below and see how you can answer them and incorporate teamwork into your next opportunity!
How can you be a better teammate?
- What can you learn from being on a team that you can’t learn independently?
- How can we hold ourselves accountable to be good teammates?
- Why do you enjoy being part of a team?