Kids of STEEL — Upper Body Workout
No equipment? No problem! Upper Body Workout.
How did you do with the week 1 workout? If you missed it, you can find it and try it HERE.
Last week we shared exercises that you could do anywhere, and at any time…. these are the same way. The only difference is that this week’s set of exercises will focus on your upper body. More specifically, these will work out your abs, pecs, traps, lats, biceps, and triceps.
If you do the lower body workouts from last week on one day, try doing the upper body workouts the next time. By alternating between these will give you an awesome full body workout!
If you are unable to finish it all, do not worry. Keep track of what you were able to do and try to get a higher number the next time you try. On the flip side, if these become too easy for you, try doing them 5 to 10 more times or seconds longer than what is listed. Have fun and let us know how you did! Tag us (@kidsofsteelpgh) if your parent posts a #sweatyselfie.
Push-ups on Steps
- Step 1- Find some stairs at home and stand in front of them with your legs shoulder width apart
- Step 2- Reach forward until you are holding onto the corner of a step. Arms should be slightly wider than your shoulders. This is your push up position!
- Step 3- Bend your elbows to lower your whole body towards the stairs, just like a push up.
- Step 4- Straighten your arms until you are back at the top of your push up position.
- Step 5- Repeat 10 times.
- Added challenge: Pick a step closer to the ground to do your push-ups.
- Step 1- Start by sitting on the floor with your feet bent in and your hands next on the floor behind you. Palms should be on the floor, with all of your fingers facing forward.
- Step 2- Push your hips up into the sky!
- Step 3- Keep your hips up high and bend your arms like a straw.
- Step 4- Straighten your arms and lift back up!
- Step 5- Keep repeating these dips 10 times.
- Added challenge: hold one foot in the air with your dips, and then switch legs!
- Step 1- Start with both hands and knees on the floor like a cat.
- Step 2- Reach back with your left foot and put it down on the ground. Your left leg will be straight, your right leg will be bent.
- Step 3- Reach your left arm straight up towards the sky! Your chest will open up to face the side.
- Step 4- Lift your left leg up into the sky and hold it like a starfish for 10 seconds! Count out loud to 10.
- Step 5- Put your left arm and foot back on the ground and return to your starting cat position. Try your starfish pose on the other side! Repeat as many times as you can!
- Added challenge: Count out loud to 20 instead of 10!
- Step 1- Start on the floor, laying down on your back. Bend your legs in, while keeping your feet on the ground.
- Step 2- Reach your arms up and over your head, so that your elbows point to the sky, your palms are touching the floor, and your thumbs are near your ears.
- Step 3- Push your hips up, so you make a giant bridge with your whole body!
- Step 4- Lift your right leg up towards the sky and hold it there for 10 seconds. Count out loud to 10!
- Step 5- Put your right leg back on the floor. Now lift up your left leg! Count out loud to 10.
- Step 6- Put your left leg back on the floor, and slowly relax everything back to the ground.
- Added challenge: Instead of lifting your legs, try lifting one arm at a time instead.
Bunny Hand Hops
- Step 1- Start with your hands and knees on the floor like a cat.
- Step 2- Walk your hands out in front so there is a straight line running from the top of your head down through your knees.
- Step 3- Hop your hands out to the side, them hop them back in.
- Step 4- Keep hopping while counting out loud to 10!
- Step 5- Walk your hands back and relax onto the ground.
- Added challenge: Walk your hands out even further so you start your hand hopping in a full push up position!